Bloh Hunter Logo

JSSC-CGL Exam Cancelled: Jharkhand Scraps All TDPL Recruitment Tests After 24 Days of Student Protests

JSSC-CGL Exam Cancelled: Jharkhand Scraps All TDPL Recruitment Tests After 24 Days of Student Protests

JSSC-CGL Exam Cancelled: Jharkhand Scraps All TDPL Recruitment Tests After 24 Days of Student Protests

The Jharkhand government has cancelled the JSSC-CGL examination and every recruitment test conducted by outsourced agency TDPL since 2014. Chief Minister Hemant Soren announced the decision on the night of Monday, 17 August 2026, after a long cabinet meeting in Ranchi. The move brings a partial end to one of the longest student agitations the state has seen in years, though a section of aspirants says the fight is not over yet.

Also Read : The Ultimate Guide to WhatsApp Usernames: Setup, Privacy, and the Future of Messaging

What exactly did the Jharkhand government cancel?

The cancellation is sweeping. It does not stop at a single exam. Soren said the state has decided to scrap everything linked to TSR Data Processing Private Limited (TDPL), the private agency that ran many of Jharkhand’s recruitment exams.

That covers four things at once: the examinations TDPL conducted, the results already published, the candidates who were selected, and every other activity carried out by the agency. On top of that, the Jharkhand Staff Selection Commission Combined Graduate Level (JSSC-CGL) exam, which sat at the centre of the whole protest, has also been called off.

In plain terms, results that were already out, and selections that had already happened through TDPL, no longer stand.

Why were students protesting?

Aspirants have accused the recruitment system of repeated paper leaks and malpractice, and the anger had been building for a long time. The JSSC-CGL exam in particular has a troubled record, with allegations of leaked papers surfacing more than once since 2024.

The latest agitation ran for 24 days. At its centre was a hunger strike led by student leader Devendra Nath Mahato, along with Umme Habiba and Rahul Kranti. Mahato began his fast on 2 July and continued for 16 days.

Earlier in August, the protest turned tense. Thousands of job seekers marched on the Jharkhand assembly, and police used lathis, tear gas and water cannons to push back crowds that had broken through barricades. Those scenes put heavy pressure on the state government to act.

How the breakthrough happened

The end came late on Monday. After the cabinet cleared the cancellation, ministers Dipika Pandey Singh and Irfan Ansari met the fasting students and offered them juice to formally break the strike. According to Ansari, the three leaders ended the fast voluntarily, and their blood pressure and blood sugar readings were normal.

Mahato called the day a major win for Jharkhand and thanked students, parents, media, the police administration, and the state government for backing the movement. He also thanked Congress leader Rahul Gandhi, who had written to Soren on 14 August in support of the students’ demands.

Here is the short timeline of how it unfolded:

  • 2 July 2026 – Devendra Nath Mahato begins his indefinite hunger strike.
  • 20 July 2026 – Students meet Chief Minister Hemant Soren.
  • 28 July 2026 – A CID inquiry into the alleged irregularities begins.
  • 14 August 2026 – Rahul Gandhi writes to Soren backing the agitation.
  • 17 August 2026 – Cabinet cancels JSSC-CGL and all TDPL-linked exams.
  • 17 August 2026 (night) – Mahato and other leaders end the 16-day fast.

CID probe widened to cover 2014 to 2026

Cancelling the exams is only the first step. Soren has directed the departments concerned, along with the CID, to widen the investigation so it covers all relevant examinations held between 2014 and 2026.

The chief minister pointed to what looked like a connected web of firms that had handled recruitment work in the state at different times, suggesting the problem runs deeper than one agency or one exam. He said the probe has already started and must be carried out thoroughly. The CID has continued conducting raids to trace those involved in the alleged scam.

Exam reforms and a new committee

Along with the cancellation, the government announced a set of reforms aimed at fixing the system rather than just reacting to the crisis.

Soren set up an examination reforms committee headed by senior IAS officer Amitabh Kaushal to recommend ways to strengthen the recruitment process. The government also promised a package of administrative changes, including:

  • A time-bound annual examination calendar so aspirants know dates in advance.
  • Technology-secured testing protocols to reduce the risk of leaks.
  • Timely publication of answer keys and OMR sheets.
  • Multi-level accountability across the recruitment chain.
  • A dedicated portal where students, teachers, educationists and parents can share feedback.

The state has also signalled stricter enforcement of its anti-unfair-means law, and Soren hinted at a possible special assembly session to discuss amendments the central government made to related rules.

The protest is not fully over

Despite the celebrations, the agitation has split. One group of protesters says it will keep going until the government agrees to a Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) probe, not just a CID inquiry. For them, a state-run investigation into a state-run recruitment mess does not go far enough.

Leader of Opposition Babulal Marandi added to that pressure, asking why the government should fear a CBI probe if it had nothing to hide. He warned that continued inaction could push more young people onto the streets and extended support to a planned demonstration on 20 August.

What it means for aspirants

For lakhs of Jharkhand job seekers, this is a mixed moment. The cancellation clears out results and selections many believed were compromised, which is a win on paper. But it also means a fresh, cleaner examination process now has to be built and conducted, and that will take time.

The government’s message is that the new system, with a fixed calendar and tighter checks, should give candidates a fairer shot. Whether that promise holds will depend on how quickly the reforms committee delivers and how far the widened investigation reaches.

Frequently Asked Questions

It was cancelled over long-standing allegations of paper leaks and malpractice, and after 24 days of student protests including a 16-day hunger strike in Ranchi.

JOIN US ON WHATSAPP

Related Post

Submit Comment

Related Post

Scroll to Top